Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mad About Plaid

Anthro 4

I’m Madly in Love with Plaid…

Thanks to a few gift cards from my recent birthday, I am the proud new mother of this beautiful plaid dress from Floreat at Anthropologie.  Some say I’m not the easiest person to buy for (silly talk), so I always encourage the fam to give me GC’s for the holiday’s.  They REALLY don’t like it, but I love it.  They gave me the joy of finding and bringing home this pretty dress.  Now I just need to decide when it will make it’s debut (don’t all special garments need an unveiling?).

So plaid.  It's all the rage and I’m thrilled about it.  Plaid is seasonless, it’s casual and it’s classic.  charlize-theron-042010-4 The plaid shirt is so versatile – with literally dozens of styling options. 

Here, Charlize Theron sits courtside cool with the Lakers in a Les Halles button-down in grey/black plaid.  Paired with a dark skinny jean, patent leather gladiator heels and a mens-inspired watch, she looks confident and sexy. 

Les Halles is a family business that launched in 1979 and was recently   re-launched with the encouragement of the owners 25-year-old daughter, Remy Baum.  They’ve got a great story and a great product…and I predict great success ahead. 

Rails gets top billing from me in the plaid shirt department.  They’re reversible and have a reputation of being one of the best-fitting button-down shirts in the world, boasting nice slim arms and flattering details.  I love the “Kendra” style below in shades of purple.  It would look great in the summer with a white jean and in the fall with a skinny dark.  The ruffle top with belt from Odille at Anthropologie is charming and makes a perfect casual Friday outfit with a bootcut jean. 

 purplewhite Anthro 7

kate_bosworthThe key to wearing plaid is including some sort of feminine touch.  It shouldn’t look like you borrowed your boyfriend’s old flannel.  Kate Bosworth is so chic in her plaid ruffled blouse with high-waisted wide leg  jeans, accented with a red Mulberry handbag.  

This look lends a more ladylike feel to the tartan trend and is easier to carry-off for those that aren’t crazy about the masculine edge of the button-down version. 

Smythe nordI’m a sucker for a bold plaid jacket and no one does jackets better than Smythe.  They are impeccably tailored with textures and prints that are menswear inspired and uniquely feminine.  I first fell in love with them when Lindsay Price’s character on the NBC’s Lipstick Jungle wore one of their jackets in an episode years ago…I searched for days to find that piece. 

I’m now quite smitten with this blue & black plaid hunting jacket from the Fall 2010 collection.  The fit of a Smythe jacket is incredibly flattering to a woman’s body.  Owning one means you will have a treasure for life.

Last, but certainly not the least of my favorites is this charming plaid jacket from Elevenses’.  Called the “Garment District Blazer,” it’s cinched at the waist, features two sweet front pockets and a feather on the lapel.  It was another birthday treat of mine from Anthropologie.  I love that I can wear it with jeans, a dress or trousers for three completely different looks. 

Here's to hoping plaid is here to stay.

Anthro 12

No comments: