Saturday, November 29, 2008

Shop Michigan

Picture 001

We all know the economy is struggling, particularly for us here in Michigan.  Some believe that it's such an overwhelming problem that there isn't anything we, as individuals, can do about it.  I disagree.  I read an article yesterday in the Detroit Free Press that inspired me to write this post.  The article is about holiday shopping and talks about making an effort this year to help Michigan, by buying Michigan-made products and supporting Michigan-based businesses.  This has long been a passion of mine and I was thrilled to read the article.  A lot of great products are made right here in Michigan - Kellogg's Cereals, Better Made Potato Chips, Faygo Pop, Sanders Fudge and Carhartt -  just to name a few.  Michigan is also home to more great businesses than just The Big 3 automakers.  Borders Books & Music, Howard Miller Furniture, La-Z-Boy Furniture and Pewabic Pottery all are based in Michigan.  Let's not forget all of the charming boutiques and mom-and-pop stores that are located throughout the state.    

To all of my scrapbooking friends - Did you know that Michigan is home to a major crafts/scrapbook manufacturer?  Colorbok is located in Dexter, MI.  I recently purchased two beautiful Colorbok scrapbooks (pictured above and below) at my favorite store, Scrappy Chic.  Not only do I LOVE my new books, but I love that I was able to support two Michigan businesses by buying them. 

The message here is simple - we can all make a difference in our economic future, by supporting our Michigan businesses.  When shopping for books - choose Borders instead of Barnes & Noble, when grabbing a snack - choose Better Made rather than Frito Lay's and Faygo over Coke.  Heck if you can, buy a shiny new car from Ford, GM or Chrysler.  Just remember....if possible, keep your money in Michigan.  Our future depends on it.

Picture 006

3 comments:

EmKDee said...

Fantastic post, my love. Well said. Supporting local restaurants is another way to keep things going. Instead of Domino's, order Buddy's!

Chris Nicholson said...

Yes, well said Beckie! I wish more stuff was made here (especially scrapbooking). But I second Buddy's as well! We definitely need to support our own economy - thanks for doing your part!

wdelanophoto said...

I'm glad you posted this because it is really important to think about where we spend our money right now. I always feel so good when I spend money in a small Michigan store because I know I'm really helping someone. A little different than going to Wal-Mart... GO Michigan!

BTW- love those 2 albums!