Sunday, June 22, 2008

Love, Elsie

 59298

My goodness, I just picked up the new Love, Elsie book "Recipe Idea Box" and am IN LOVE with it!

The box includes 100 recipe cards for layouts (cooking times included), 80 designer tips, 5 featured designers, organizer index tabs and it all comes in a cool recipe box.  The book features inspiration from art, home decor, books, fashion, movies, and music.  What I love about this is that you can pull out a card, use it for inspiration and file it back in the nifty little box.  What a neat idea!

After flipping through the cards several times, I found the recipe I wanted to try first.  I chose "Doren" from the movie section.  Elsie's inspiration for this layout was Moulin Rouge.  Her designer tip: Be inspired by the colors and mood of a favorite film.  Create cool handmade embellishments with fabric and stitching. 

I chose the movie Juno as the inspiration for my layout.  It's one of my recent favorites and features fun and colorful visuals.  (Note: If you have not seen this movie yet, get to the video store immediately.  It's wonderful on so many levels and Ellen Page is amazing in it.  A must see.)

herojunoHere is my inspiration brought to life (featuring my sweet niece Avery and nephew Jack).  The lighting isn't great (the colors are much more vibrant in person), so I'm including a few close ups to highlight the detail.  The patterned paper is Sassafras Lass and I used white cardstock to make the stripes.  The green letters are from Pressed Petals and the mini letters are Carolees and Making Memories tiny alphas.  I used Hambly Screenprints to represent the silhouettes.  Other details include Daisy D's rub-on flourishes and Renaissance silk flowers from Prima Marketing (I cannot get enough of those!).  Although the flower embellishment isn't truly handmade, I did add a ribbon and a brad to individualize it.  I can't wait to select the next inspired recipe!     Beckie 367 Beckie 368Beckie 370

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I love everything about this post! Well done, Becks.

wdelanophoto said...

Oh my goodness- I'm going to need to borrow some recipes! What a great new way to get inspired. I love the layout- what cuties Jack & Avery are. Loved Juno too :0)

Dana said...

Your blog is terrific! I was delighted to meet you in SIS TV and really glad to get the chance to look at your work-inspring!

Staci Compher said...

love the "juno" inspired layout....that orange is awesome!!