Sunday, June 1, 2008

Miles for Miracles

I've been running around like a mad woman lately, so I have been pretty negligent with my blog! With so much going on, I will surely be making up for it this week.

IMG_7820-3small Speaking of running, on Saturday, May 17, I participated in Miles for Miracles, the 3rd annual walk /run benefiting the Michigan Chapter of the Progeria Research Foundation. The Foundation is dedicated to raising much needed funds for a clinical trial that could bring treatment and hopefully a cure for children with Progeria, like little Lindsay. Lindsay is my niece Lilly's cousin and she is the sweetest little girl, with an infectious smile and laugh. She is a big Pistons fan and her favorite player is SHEED!

 

IMG_7794 copy2small Lindsay (shown here with her grandma) was diagnosed with Progeria when she was 5 months old. The disease is an extremely rare condition in which physical aspects of aging are greatly accelerated. About one in 8 million babies are born with the disease.

IMG_7646 copysmall Currently, there are about 45 known cases in the world. Although there is no known cure, events like this give hope to families and children effected by this terrible disease. While I finished an impressive 51st out of 51 (hey, I arrived a little late), I was proud to run for Lindsay, contributing to her treatment and a cure.

Lindsay, thank you for being an inspiration...you are a wonderful little girl.

See Lindsay on Fox 2 Detroit.

1 comment:

wdelanophoto said...

Thanks for posting about the walk and how to donate Beck. It is so helpful to raise awareness about this awful disease so we can fight for a cure for Lindsay.